Sunday 23 September 2018

Blog Number 12: Six month lifetime (a poem)


Six months passed in the twinkling of an eye
Spans what feels like several lifetimes
We have been a partnership for 26 weeks
It doesn't sound long
Yet every day is and has always been
Another bond forged, more loving words exchanged
Honesty embraced, truths exchanged and thus
Vulnerability coaxed
From our scared and hesitant shells

From that first date, we both thought the other 'too good for us'
We were yet to realise we are both good enough
For ourselves, and perfect for each other
We both have battled
Through decisions good and bad
Through heartache, distrust and loss
Both experienced changes and crises
Which altered us to our core
Both wanting the soft and tender glow of true connection
Yet too afraid to open up fully



So we simply spoke, and walked, and were
Ourselves, taking our time, not rushing or putting on a show
A magical time lapse
As if everything else was on hold
So that we could simply be
And share, and get to know each other
By the river on a sunny afternoon


I told you about my diagnosis
You listened and accepted and understood
Told me about family and history
I listened with open heart and ears
Wanting to know you
Wanting to understand who you are
And what matters to you
So surreal
To meet a stranger I felt I'd known forever
And discovering that you felt the same

Sometimes I think about what it'd feel like
If I had never met you
If you had never taken my hand for the first time
If we had never kissed
If I had never melted into those arms
Feeling safe and warm
I can't imagine having never laughed so hard I cried
Or never danced around the supermarket aisles
Oblivious to stares and smiles


I can't imagine
Not having your love
Absorbing your kind compassion
Your understanding, your smile
Your blue eyes looking into mine
Searching and seeing me
With such love and intensity
That it dazes me and puts me into a love trance
And I simply cannot believe
Just how lucky I am
Every day with you feels like a lifetime

For Adam.

With much love,
Karen xx


No comments:

Post a Comment